OpenWrt/LEDE Project

  • Status Unconfirmed
  • Percent Complete
    0%
  • Task Type Bug Report
  • Category Base system
  • Assigned To No-one
  • Operating System All
  • Severity Low
  • Priority Very Low
  • Reported Version Trunk
  • Due in Version Undecided
  • Due Date Undecided
  • Private
Attached to Project: OpenWrt/LEDE Project
Opened by Arik Yavilevich - 23.11.2020

FS#3469 - Device stops passing broadcast packets to wireless interfaces after 24H of uptime

Device problem occurs on + Software versions of OpenWrt/LEDE release, packages, etc:

D-Link DIR-882 device with a recent build from trunk. It has the MediaTek MT7621A SoC inside.

Steps to reproduce:

I have a strange problem with my openwrt device.

When it freshly boots all is working fine. After 24H (quite on the spot) there seems to be no more broadcast traffic going to the wireless interfaces. I have confirmed this with ARP and mDNS packets. A restart of the bridge (in luci or via /etc/init.d/network restart resolves this for another 24H.

I know another user with the same device and he also confirmed the issue. We made a monitoring script to make ARP requests and were able to observe the recurring behavior.

To reproduce, ‘nping -arp’ an ip on the wifi interface from a device on the wired interface. Wait for uptime to reach 24H, see if there are ARP requests responses from the wifi device.With some time, entries in ARP caches expire and this also manifests as inability to ping devices in the LAN between interfaces.

Issue doesn’t happen when target is in the wired interface. Issue does happen when target is in the wireless interface regardless if the source is the same interface of another one.

I have just a default config. Didn’t add any fancy routing or anything. Just configured wifi networks.

Once I was away from home and it was in the malfunctioning state for over 24H, it then switched back to working state. I only had the chance to test this once so it is just a theory but it might be toggling between good and bad states every 24H.

Possibly related (but no solution): https://forum.openwrt.org/t/clients-in-same-wlan-cant-reach-each-other/2501 Based on the topic above I tried to disable `multicast_to_unicast` feature on the bridge but it didn’t make a difference.

Happy to provide additional details if needed, Arik.

Loading...

Available keyboard shortcuts

Tasklist

Task Details

Task Editing