OpenWrt/LEDE Project

  • Status Unconfirmed
  • Percent Complete
  • Task Type Bug Report
  • Category Base system
  • Assigned To No-one
  • Operating System All
  • Severity Medium
  • Priority Very Low
  • Reported Version openwrt-18.06
  • Due in Version Undecided
  • Due Date Undecided
  • Private
Attached to Project: OpenWrt/LEDE Project
Opened by Jeff Rogers - 25.07.2019

FS#2406 - Unreliable wifi with android phones

I have two WRT1200AC devices set up. One is the router, and the second one is a 2.4Ghz access point that uses 5Ghz WDS for the back-haul. The problem seems unrelated to WDS, although both routers are configured with multiple wifi interfaces on each radio. I see the problem occur on both devices, so it’s probably not bad hardware. I’ve been battling this problem on all recent releases. Last night I tried 18.06.4, and the problem still exists.

I have multiple LG G6 smartphones running android 8.0.0. The problem is that, although they seemingly maintain a solid wifi connection to my openwrt access points, network connections don’t work most of the time (web pages don’t load, messages don’t come in, etc.) Laptops seem to work just fine over wifi. The internet connection itself is perfectly stable, and devices wired to either device work just fine.

The phones seem to work ok on wifi immediately after resetting the access point. After a few minutes, though, the problem crops up and persists no matter what I try, until I reset the access point. Once the problem manifests, luci rarely loads on the phone’s web browser, so it’s clearly not a WAN issue.

When the problem kicks in, in the device’s system log, I can see “IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to inactivity (timer DEAUTH/REMOVE)” a few seconds after a phone connects to the access point.

As another data point, I was experimenting with 802.11r. I installed the full wpad package and enabled fast transition. Just like above, Wifi would work for a few minutes. Once the problem kicked in though, rather than the phone claiming to be connected but not work, the phone would instead report an authentication failure and then prompt for the wpa password again. The problem occurs with wpad-mini just as much, it’s just interesting that the symptoms change with 802.11r enabled.

I lack specific knowledge about openwrt development, but I’m an embedded software engineer and I’m happy to collect any debug traces that would be helpful. Just give me the commands or point me at the right documentation...


Available keyboard shortcuts


Task Details

Task Editing